Become A Dispatcher
- This position dispatches police, sheriff, and fire units to emergencies using a Computer Aided Dispatch System
- receives and extracts information of an emergency nature including
- caller information
- nature of emergency
- phone number
- Receives and processes complaints, assistance, and information requests from the public by either referring the party to the appropriate division or department or supplying the information
- Perform entry, update, retrieval, and documentation from various files available via the NLETS/TLETS system
911 dispatchers are the heartbeat of the nation’s system and are the professionals called upon to ensure that citizens receive the best emergency communications and dispatch services by remaining calm, gathering information, and providing assistance to individuals in need.
The 911 dispatcher is often the unsung professional of the emergency response team. These first responders, who gather essential information from callers and dispatch the appropriate first responders to the scene, must be able to take control of situations that may be chaotic, heart-wrenching, stressful, confusing, and frenzied. They must be organized, adept at multi-tasking, level-headed, and trustworthy.
- Candidates must be at least 18 years old
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Must not have been convicted of a Class A or higher Misdemeanor, ever, or a Class B Misdemeanor within the last 10 years or Family Violence convictions
- Pass a job-related skills pre-employment test.
Salary and Benefits
- Starting salary $49,180 - $54,098 per year
- Differential pay when working nights
- 5% increase after one year
- Additional monthly pay for completed TCOLE and EMD certificates plus longevity pay
- Retirement begins at date of employment
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance options
- Dispatchers accrue 4 vacation hours and 3 sick hours bi-weekly and accrue Holiday hours
VISIT: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/midlandtx?keywords=public or call 432.685.7469 or 432.685.7157.