Midland Health & Senior Services works with many Federal, State and Local agencies to protect the public’s health in an emergency. Partners engaging volunteers include:
- National VOAD, an association of organizations that mitigate and alleviate the impact of disasters, provides a forum promoting cooperation, communication, coordination and collaboration; and fosters more effective delivery of services to communities affected by disaster.
- The National VOAD coalition includes over 50 of the country’s most reputable national organizations (faith-based, community-based and other non-governmental organizations) and 55 State/Territory VOADs, which represent Local/Regional VOADs and hundreds of other member organizations throughout the country.
- Find a local VOAD Chapter
- The Division of the Civilian Volunteer Medical Reserve Corps (DCVMRC) is headquartered in the Office of the United States (U.S.) Surgeon General. DCVMRC helps communities establish, implement, and maintain MRC units. Local MRCs engage volunteers to strengthen public health, emergency response and community resiliency. MRC volunteers train – individually and with other members of the unit.
- Find a local MRC Unit.
- Citizen Corps offers volunteer opportunities to support local fire, law enforcement, emergency medical services, community public health efforts, and to contribute to the four stages of emergency management: preparedness, prevention, response, and recovery. Texas Association of Regional Councils, a public entity, administers the Citizen Corps programs in Texas through councils of governments (COGs).
- Find a local Citizen Corp Council.
RETIRED SENIOR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM (RSVP)
- Not exactly a mailing service for nonprofits, although this group is known to help do that. This program connects seniors with volunteer opportunities throughout our community. Do you want to build houses, prepare meals, aid disaster victims, serve as a literacy tutor, compile mailings for nonprofits, sort clothing & donations, serve our local veterans, or read to children? Do something different every day, every week, every month sound interesting to you? Then let RSVP get you plugged in! We can help you be as busy as you want with work that is meaningful and social. RSVP provides thousands of volunteer hours to benefit Midland; the real benefit? Great volunteers who are needed and wanted and make a difference in our community; all while making friends and having some fun.
- Connect with the Local RSVP