Water Production Division
History and Long Term Plans
In the early 1920's, a one million gallon reservoir was built on east Wall Street and five wells were drilled. This field was used until the late 1920's, when Cole Park was purchased and used until 1968. Rosedale wells were drilled in the early 1940's and were used until the late 1960's. Wadley Well Field (Hogan Park) was started in the early 1940's, with water being pumped from fifteen wells until the early 1960's.
Beginning in the early 1950's, McMillen Well Field was developed and used until depleted in the mid 1960's. This field is currently shut down due to concerns with perchlorate, but can pump up to 4.5 million gallons per day. Two 5-million ground storage tanks and a 1 million gallon Elevated Storage Tower were constructed in the early 1950's. During the late 1950's, a 1 million gallon reservoir was added at Shell and Midland Drive.
In the late 1950's, Paul Davis Well Field was started. This field included a 2.5 million gallon reservoir, and a Pump Station. Later, another 2.5 million gallon reservoir was added and a total of forty-two (42) wells have been drilled. The Paul Davis Well Field currently has a pumping capacity of 18 MGD.
In 1989, the 2 million gallon Hogan Elevated Tank was built and placed in service to improve water pressure in the downtown and east side areas.
The Water Production Division currently is capable of pumping 18 MGD from Paul Davis Well Field. The Air Terminal Well Field meets the standards for interstate commerce. The Paul Davis, T-Bar, and Air Terminal well fields have been re-evaluated for quality and reserves quantity.
With the delivery of Lake Ivie water, the well fields will not be pumped as much, but still must be maintained in top condition for peaking and as a backup supply. Current water reserves in the Paul Davis field should last through 2030. Future plans are to establish preventative maintenance schedules for pumps, pump stations, motors, etc. Construction of an additional 2 million gallon tank on Mockingbird, approximately two miles west of Midland Drive, is planned for 2007.
In 1965, the City purchased the T-Bar Ranch as a future water supply. This groundwater supply can be used to supplement our surface water supplies and provide Midland's needs through 2060 and beyond. We have not developed this water reserve but if current trends continue, we could possibly expect to begin developing this well field in 5 to 15 years. During the time-frame of 2007-2010, the pump stations will be upgraded to meet growth needs for the City.
Can't find what you're looking for? Try our search engine.