One of the most convenient meals in today's busy world is a meal to go. Most are consumed immediately, although there are times when ready-prepared foods are purchased in advance to be eaten at a later time. Perishable foods can cause illness when mishandled and improperly stored. Proper handling is essential to ensure the food is safe.
- Eating Within 2 Hours? Pick up food HOT and keep it HOT. Eat and enjoy your food within 2 hours to prevent harmful bacteria from multiplying
- Not Eating Within 2 Hours? Keeping food warm is not enough. Harmful bacteria grow rapidly between 40 and 140 degrees F.
Purchased Cold/ Reheating
- Keep COLD Food COLD---Refrigerate or freeze immediately. Cold food should be held at 41 degrees or colder
- You may wish to reheat your meal, whether purchased hot and then refrigerated or purchased cold initially
- Heat thoroughly to 165 degrees
- If heating in the microwave oven, cover the food and rotate the dish, so it heats evenly
Keep HOT foods HOT & COLD foods COLD!