High school diploma
Applicants with a GED must have at least 12 college credit hours from an accredited school with a 2.0 or higher GPA.
College hours must be from one of the following accreditation agencies:
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges
- Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Age 21 or older
- Normal hearing corrected or uncorrected with uncorrected hearing loss not to exceed moderate
- Applicants must be able to pass the Department’s Physical Assessment Standards
- Must possess a valid Texas driver’s license at the time of employment
- No felony conviction, class B misdemeanor or higher in the last 10 years, or a domestic violence offense. No history of criminal or improper conduct or poor driving record, which may affect the suitability for law enforcement work.
- If prior military service or law enforcement, an applicant must have an honorable discharge.
- All other discharges must be reviewed by recruiting office on a case-by-case basis.
- Must meet all conditions required to obtain TCLEOSE Basic Peace Officer Certification