The Midland Police Department's crash analysis results from the third quarter of 2013 show that driver behavior was the most prominent factor in accidents happening across Midland in the months of July through September. This analysis is regularly pulled from police data to ensure proper distribution of law enforcement resources in Midland.
The top three contribution factors to crashes during these months were:
• Following too closely - 174 crashes
• Driver inattention - 156 crashes
• Failure to control speed - 104 crashes
The five intersections with the highest number of crashes during these months were:
• Midkiff Drive and Interstate 20 - 21 crashes
• Rankin Highway and Interstate 20 - 17 crashes
• Andrews Highway and Loop 250 - 16 crashes
• Midland Drive and Loop 250 - 14 crashes
• Midkiff Drive and Loop 250 - 12 crashes
Between 15 and 18 percent of the crashes occurred each weekday, with 14 percent of crashes occurring between 7 and 9 a.m. and 26 percent of crashes occurring between 4 and 7 p.m.